Thank you for contacting Discovery Communications, LLC. ("Discovery") to request an entry into the teachers' competition portion of Discovery Education's Young Scientist Challenge: Teachers Edition ("Contest").
To be eligible to participate in the Contest, you must be registered with the Discovery Educator Network ("DEN") and agree to the terms of this Consent form. You must create a video that communicates one of the scientific concepts outlined in the contest Official Rules. The contents of the video are up to you, and may contain your likeness, image, voice or other identifiable features.
The judges will primarily consider your ability to understand and effectively communicate science through the video. Discovery will select five (5) teacher finalists and award them with a trip to Washington, D.C. to compete for the title of "DEN's Science Teacher of the Year" and other prizes.
What do you need to do?
In order for Discovery to consider your entry into this Contest, you must agree to the terms of this Consent form by providing us with your electronic signature. To do this, simply type your name in the field below to indicate that you agree to the terms of this Consent and the Official Rules and that you understand that you will be bound by this Consent and the Official Rules. After typing your name in the field, click the "I AM REGISTERED WITH DEN" and "I ACCEPT" buttons below. The form will then be automatically sent to Discovery. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE CONTEST UNLESS YOU CONSENT.
By signing this Consent form, you agree to the following terms and conditions:
(1) You understand and agree to participate in the Contest described in the Official Rules. Further, you agree to be bound by the Official Rules and the terms of this Consent.
(3) You understand that, in order for you to participate in this Contest, you must submit a video that communicates one of the scientific concepts outlined in the contest entry information ("Video"). This Video may include your likeness, image, voice, persona or other identifiable features ("Video"). You grant Discovery the right to reproduce, modify, translate, or adapt the Video. You further understand and agree that Discovery may edit for brevity or truncate your Video, and that you will not have approval over the editing process and will have no input or control over any such edits.
(4) You also grant Discovery permission to publish and display your Video, or excerpts or portions of your Video, on its external web site, so that it may be viewed by the public in correlation with this Contest.
(5) You understand that you are granting Discovery a license in the Video and Discovery will have the unrestricted and royalty-free right to modify, distribute, perform and reproduce the Video or portions thereof. You understand and agree that you will not have any right of approval, claim to any compensation, or claim arising out of the use, alteration, distortion or illusionary effect or use in any composite form of your Video and of the content therein. You understand and agree to waive any moral rights of authors or any similar rights.
(6) If you are selected as one of the five (5) finalists, you understand that you will receive a trip to Washington, D.C. from October 4-7, 2008 to compete in the finals. You, as a "finalist", will then compete individually and on teams in science challenges, which will primarily evaluate your understanding of, and ability to effectively communicate, scientific concepts, processes, ideas or theories. During the competition finals, finalists will compete for the title of "DEN's Science Teacher of the Year"
(7) You hereby release and discharge Discovery, its officers and directors, employees, agents, affiliates, and subsidiaries ("Released Parties"), from any claims, actions or demands arising out of the Released Parties' use of the Video, Personal Data or from your receipt of Contest prizes. You further agree that no action will be taken by or on behalf of the undersigned with respect to the rights described herein, it being understood that this release shall be binding upon Discovery and the Released Parties.
I am registered with DEN